1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

World of Remnant: Schnee Dust Company

Discussion in 'RWBY Episode Discussions' started by AceofAces, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

The thing is if you actualy ignore the WoR's the way this volume's he word building stuff is presented is serviceable (for me atleast). You can easily infer just about everything said about the kingdoms from what we see of them, ditto for what is said about the between Kingdom's stuff or what was said about faunus.

The only extra details we get in the WoR's tend to be stuff about the ancient past, like primitive humans thinking faunus were some kind of monster, or how Atlas developed into more militant kingdom. Stuff that really isn't relevant to the plot itself or the characters and dosn't need to be said

As I said putting it before the episodes in question is a bad move, because the attempts at world building get undermined by the fact the information they present is no longer new.

Fog and STRQWinter like this.
  2. Terra125

Terra125 Member

True. I guess whatever helps you vent your frustrations. I just don't want complaints to devolve into toxicity as it tends to do on the internet and ends up with a "This is why we can't have nice things" result. I've seen it happen way too often and it irks me a little.

STRQWinter and KineticKaiser like this.
  3. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

True, Weiss doesn't have to be the one to say all that stuff about her father and grandfather, but if she's not the speaker, she likely would be the listener, which means that she's being told something that she very likely knows already, so it largely doesn't make a lot of sense for Weiss to sit there and be told something she already knows simply for the sake of the audience. That's the problem: this gap between what the characters already know, and what we don't know.

The solution is as you described in sprinkling information along as it is relevant to the plot, but the issue with this specific set of information is that it really isn't important to the narrative. It just gives us a foundation as to what kind of people Weiss' father and grandfather are.

That's a very black and white, absolute point of view, and this is anything but. Trust me, ask anyone here and they'll likely tell you that I personally am pretty supportive of RT and am pretty forgiving of some transgressions of RWBY that are pointed out by others, and I too think that complaining for the sake of complaining is counterproductive, but even I don't give RWBY a blanket pass on everything. When I see something that I think deserves criticism, I say so. And even if I may be more tolerant of a flaw, I at least try to understand the criticism and temper it with a possible defending explanation, rather than just dismiss it entirely. That kind of "put up or shut up" mentality is highly dismissive of the legitimate criticisms that are an integral part of any discussion about anything, including RWBY.

But what really disturbs me the most is that you think it is our jobs as admins to "keep this in check" and stifle people's opinions, which is the absolute last thing we are going to do. Like it or not, WoR is a divisive subject, and just because you're tired of it being an issue that doesn't give you the right to silence others or expect us moderators to do it for you.

Do not EVER tell us how to do our jobs, especially when what you're asking for is completely contrary to the principles that this site is founded upon. We may disagree with what other people say, but everyone has a right to say it.

4. Ashland

Ashland Active Member

Man, I could paste my whole rant about the lack of storytelling ability this volume seems to have back in the last WOR thread and it'd still be relevant.

Not going to, but I'm just saying. We're like halfway through the volume and it just doesn't feel like they have enough time slotted in for a good conclusion. I think the Tarantino-esque "Multiple perspectives, multiple stories" angle might have damaged the pacing a bit by turning this into a grind. The fight is gonna conclude and then it'll just go to Yang instead of showing the consequences.

Then Blake and like.. maybe Weiss will get attacked some point in the volume and they'll fight it off, but if you played all the scenes for each character in order they'd get attacked randomly and probably have some scene at Salem's magic clubhouse where she's like "LET'S START MY BIG ASS PLAN" and then they all attack at the same time and all have to meet up so they can have volume 5.

5. Terra125

Terra125 Member

Apologies... I didn't mean it like that.

6. heavysupportgunsmith

heavysupportgunsmith Well-Known Member

am i to late for popcorn?

7. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

It's fine. Like I said, I agree that complaining for the sake of complaining is counterproductive to a site like this. The thing though is that what Kinetic and others have said in criticizing WoR is not just complaining for the sake of complaining because they have actually explained their reasoning and their beliefs. Just because you think an opinion is wrong, that doesn't make it meritless.

8. Cybuster

@AceofAces

Simple solution Weiss get's in a heated exchange with her dad, he says something about being a Schnee, she responds by angrily pointing out that he wasn't even born a Schnee.

We don't really need to be told about Nic in the series proper.

@Ashland

To be honest I don't think there's really that much plot to cover this volume. For better or worse their direct dealings with Salem are likely going to wait until next volume (weather that's a good or bad thing will likely depend on who you ask). I can see them fitting conclusions to the current plot points in this volume. The pacing hasn't been great, but I think the constant breaks made it feel much worse than it actualy is.

Cue TSO claiming that I think everything about the series is golden.

Appa311 likes this.
  9. Ashland

Ashland Active Member

This might be my natural "Kind of a wiseass" disposition speaking, but I'm pretty sure the only significant thing that might happen this whole volume will be Salem's Friendship Happy Brigade is that they'll start their plan right at the finale. The only way to get everyone else kicked in the ass to actually go back to being RWBY would pretty much be if something happens to Ruby if Qrow fails. If he's like "Oh yeah, sorry to drop this on you but there's a relic you should go stop Salem from getting." and then immediately croaks afterward, that might also work but I'd probably call it hamfisted at best.

It feels like they want to make the RWBY animation cycle 24 weeks because that's the amount the last season of RVB was, but they only had 12 episodes of the actual episodes in the pipeline and they don't want a 3 month gap in their major animations. The WOR's are cheap and they feel like it's beneficial, even if I think they're rather banal.

10. Cybuster

The way I see it, Blake, Weiss and Yang's character arcs end with them deciding to reunite with their team (Yang already has her motivation for that). Meanwhile Ruby tired of being kept out of the loope demands that Qrow tell her what is actualy going on, resulting in a actual justified expo dump. Team RWBY reunite leading into the more direct dealings with the relic and Salem's crew next volume. Maybe they take out Tyrion some how along the way since the heroes need a big win at this point.

That's at least the way I hope it goes down.

#30 Cybuster, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016