1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Yang Xiao Long

Discussion in 'RWBY Characters' started by Yang Xiao Long, Jun 22, 2013.

1. White Raven

White Raven Well-Known Member

Yang getting a new arm might seem like a good idea to cure her depression, but not really. It would be like putting band-aids on a open wound. A new arm won't bring Pyrrha back to life. It won't get rid of the Grimm infestation at Beacon academy and Vale. It won't make Blake come back to her friends. It won't set Weiss free from her father. Of course a new arm would help, but it's not what Yang needs the most right now.

Yang was once an happy and active girl, but she has now been reduced to quiet one who wants to be left alone moping. Her once bright, inner fire has been reduced to just a few embers. She's just a shadow of her former self. It seems she has given up, and no longer have any interest in training or traveling. She's likely going to receive some pep talk from her father, and mother too. Both of them will use different methods, and both will be effective in their own way. But besides her parents, Yang needs more to become motivated again, and that is from her sister. If Yang finds out that her sister might be in danger, or that she's tracking down Cinder, then Yang would likely jump out of bed and rush out from Patch. Ace is right that telling her that she needs to get better won't work. She has to realize that herself.

We have no idea what RT are planning, but we should assume that Yang will at some point get a robotic arm, but not necessarily in volume 4. Cybernetic limbs are probably very rare and expensive in Remnant. Not just anyone can get it. It's probably only Atlas that has the technology. I guess it's going to be Weiss who will help get the arm, using her family's connections and resources. Yang is a brawler. She needs both her fists, even if one of them is robotic.

2. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

You literally just explained one of the major themes in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

3. TheOmegaDynasty

TheOmegaDynasty Well-Known Member

4. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Possibly, especially since @MechaG11 noted that Raven abandoning her is a real psychological sore spot for her.

I wonder though what kind of attitude Yang would have regarding the idea. A small part of me thinks she'll have a "whatever" attitude, like she's got nothing better to do than to search for her mom (or more accurately, nothing better than she CAN do, since I think she might think that her missing arm would prevent her from joining Ruby and the rest of team RNJR in Mistral since Yang's diminished fighting ability would be nothing of a liability).

Yang: "Welp, Penny is dead, Pyrrha is dead, Weiss is gone, Blake is gone, Ruby left with JNR, the school is one giant Grimm nest, and Vale is pretty much destroyed. I'm so sick and tired of just sitting here at home listening to Dad, but I would just slow Ruby down if I went after her. *sigh* Maybe I'll call Uncle Qrow for that tip on where my Mom is and go find her. I've got nothing better to do at this point."

5. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

I think I said this before but anyway, I think it would be effective to introduce a replacement arm early on but have Yang refuse to take it. Having her not take the chance to make herself physically able again, would be an effective way of showing how she lost her drive. It's would also be a simple but effective way to show that she has regained the fire that she once, later on when she ultimately decides to get the arm attached.

6. White Raven

White Raven Well-Known Member

Is that a good or bad thing? I never played that game.

MechaG11 likes this.
  7. MechaG11

In that game Snake loses his arm, his soldiers, and his base.
    A lot of the game is spent reflecting on those losses and how revenge never really dissolved the pain of the things he's lost.
    Snake moves on using his new metal arm. His best friend Kaz however refuses to get prosthetics because he wants to never forget the pain and what caused it (hence why he's so paranoid and distrusting).

TheOmegaDynasty likes this.
  8. Cybuster

Honestly I never liked the game's depiction of Kaz. He's not a bad character in his own right but there is just such a disconnect between Phantom Pain's Kaz and how we know he acted later in life.

9. MechaG11

I think that's the point though. We know thanks to PW that Kaz didn't used to be like that. I assume he eventually got over it, especially since we see a small glimmer possible change in him near the end of the game.

10. Cybuster

To me it just didn't feel like the character he was in Phantom Pain could ever really mellow out and become the character he was in the older MG games.