1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Yang Xiao Long

Discussion in 'RWBY Characters' started by Yang Xiao Long, Jun 22, 2013.

1. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

(Wasn't he not actually Kaz in MGS1?)
    I can see it. He starts to around the end of the game.

2. TheOmegaDynasty

TheOmegaDynasty Well-Known Member

MGS 1 spoilers about Miller
    One of the game's plot twist is the fact that Liquid killed Miller three days before the Shadow Moses Incident and was masquerading as Miller throughout the entire mission. Whenever you contacted Miller through your codec you were actually talking to Liquid. So we never really see Miller in this game.

Cybuster might have been referring to Miller's appearance in Metal Gear 2 as one of Solid Snake's operators during the infiltration of Zanzibar Land or Big Boss' Outer Heaven. During the infiltration, Miller gives Snake information on survival techniques and guidance on how to overcome the various obstacles throughout the game.
    [​IMG]

Fun Fact: During Snake's battle with Big Boss, Miller referred to Big Boss as a "monster" and urged the unarmed Snake to find something to use as a weapon against him.

Damn it guys, all this talking about MGS has caused me to shift to a new theme. You're making me want to go play all the MGS games again.

#582 TheOmegaDynasty, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    MechaG11 likes this.
  3. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

@TheOmegaDynasty

I always assumed that Liquids impersonation of Miller was an accurate one, since he was able to fool the people who knew him.

4. Jaxrond

Jaxrond Well-Known Member

Saw the Yellow trailer again and just about cried.
    Yang kicking so much butt.
    With both arms.

Aznpride1207 likes this.
  5. Eights

Eights Well-Known Member

You can't kick with arms.

KineticKaiser and Jaxrond like this.
  6. MechaG11

Responding to @Bio

Her arm was cut off solely for shock value?
    Nevermind that this act established the villain as a greater threat (which this series has been lacking so badly) in addition to badly humbling Yang while at the same time scaring the sh*t out of Blake. One of Yang's greatest weaknesses is giving into her emotions. So to recklessly charge in not thinking of what Adam could do to her reflects that.

See the comparison of using a humbling message with the Neo fight doesn't work in this instance. Losing a fight is one thing, but losing to someone that not only almost hurt Blake and defaced her by cutting off her arm is a whole other situation. Yang despite using all of her strength at her best could not win (Where as in the Neo fight the cannon explanation was her aura was weaker after the previous day of fighting Grimm).

In the end I still don't understand your point on how it sidelines any of her potential development points at all. Yang in her truest nature is someone who can take a hit from life and bounce back from it. If anything this makes her next character phase more interesting because we will get to see what she decides to do beyond this point. Not having an arm is a frustrating factor that stacks with her past two frustrations (Her Mom being gone, trying to help Blake). She literally has several possible roads open to her because of all this anger and frustration. Will she stay in a rut being withdrawn and defensive? Will get revenge on Adam? Will she seek out her Mom or Blake? Will she come to her senses and help Ruby after all? Will she get a robot arm or stay spiteful and be without it?

There's literally a ton of options that you seem to be shutting the door on under the illusion that adapting to life without the arm will vacuum all of her character development (nevermind that it's been three months at the very end of the volume and Yang has had that bit of time to get used to it).
    Luke Skywalker
    [​IMG]
    Despite losing his hand Luke still set out to train in the force with Yoda and become a Jedi Master immediately after getting his new one. Not letting the fact that he had to adapt to his new hand stop him from getting stronger.

Asura
    [​IMG]
    Sure yeah he's a demigod, but Asura's relentless anger and strive to save his daughter lets nothing stop him. He will still fight, even when his arms are lost and the odds are against him.

Lan Fan
    [​IMG]
    She may have had to sit out for a bit, but not much can keep from protecting her young lord. Even if it means hurting herself by using her new automail arm too early.

Solid Snake
    [​IMG]
    Even with a brand new bionic arm and shrapnel still in his head, Snake holds up exceptionally well in the field. Mastering his arm over time and even holding his own without a proper hand in the first level. Snake sets out for revenge against the man who took everything from him (His old base, soldiers, arm, and past friends).

Kazuhira Miller
    [​IMG]
    Kaz chooses to persevere after having both his arm and leg taken from him. Forcing himself to adapt to having no arm and no leg in order to remember what he had and what he'd lost. Remembering this not only fueled anger for a fearsome want of revenge, but also made him become more protective over himself and his friends. Discouraging any unnecessary risks.

#586 MechaG11, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  7. Bio

Bio Active Member

1. Adam didn't need to be shown as a bigger threat. First thing we see is him murdering two people, then beating the crap out of Blake and stabbing her, then threatening to take away everything she cares about. Threat established, and all before Yangs arm came off.

2. You know what would also humble Yang? Nearly dying by having her chest sliced open, like I said in the video. Still humbled and in possession of both arms.

3. You're telling me that almost having a sword plunged through her chest, which would result in death, is less humbling then have her arm cut off? Yang would have died in that fight if the plot hadn't been that her Mom showed up to save her. Surviving by shear luck seems more traumatic then just surviving an albeit terrible wound.

4. Weakened aura or not, Yang got her ass handed to her. Her teammates need her to win so they could stop Roman and Yang failed. She lost and failed them in that fight. Failing her entire team seems a bit worse then failing the one person.

5. All that development you mentioned at the end? None of that can happen before she learns to function with one arm. I have no doubt that she'll have to face a lot of shit because of it, but all of the development still has to be sidelined until she can learn to function with one arm. It's not gone, it's just pushed to side, deemed not important, because they had to have a scene that showed how dark the show was. That had to happen for some reason and the only reason I can think of is shock value, since it could have been done a number of different ways without cutting her arm off.

8. MechaG11

1) Except he did. Tension doesn't work tonally if the audience doesn't feel like an enemy poses any threat to the main characters. Otherwise why fear that the main characters have anything at stake if nothing bad ever happens to them? This helps the show considering the first two seasons did a bad job at establishing this.

2-4) I already explained this, yet you ignored the context. Losing to Adam is more humbling because she lost at full power/her best. NOT a matter of "she could have died." It's far more impactful if she loses that sense of control (in this case being helpless at full strength before Adam's power, whereas with Neo she was not at full strength. In that case with Neo, the only thing Yang would take away from the experience is "I guess I'm weak when I'm not at full strength." Ummm duhhh, that applies always to literally everyone). Losing the arm removes even more control from her and establishes greater stakes in the tone and in Yang's journey as a character.

5) That expectation makes no sense. We're talking about a girl with superhuman level abilities and advanced martial arts discipline. How is she limited so badly in your mind by this? She's had 3 months to heal which may possibly be accelerated by Aura. Even after that I doubt all of her screen time and offscreen time would be "Learning to live with one arm, the show!" This is a critical event that affects her character and everything she sets out to do.

It just boggles me that you jump to "shock value" when really this opens up so much for her character. You think it's impossible for her to move on yet it's been done dozens of times in fiction before. Is it truly unfathomable that she has already gotten used to it? Or that she simply doesn't care and will improvise as she continues on like many other fictional characters who suffered the same fate?

At this moment based on her dialogue Yang's greatest hinderance isn't living with her missing arm, it's her broken spirit. Broken because she's frustrated about her mom, her best friend abandoning her and running away, her arm being cut off, the school getting overrun, Pyrrha dying. She has a lot of reasons to be upset. I just don't understand why you impose these unrealistic limits creating only more frustration for yourself.

#588 MechaG11, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
    KineticKaiser likes this.
  9. Bio

Bio Active Member

Its really easy to jump to shock value, because that's what it is.

They didn't HAVE to cut her arm to make Adam look dangerous.

They didn't HAVE to cut her arm off to humble her.

They didn't HAVE to cut her arm off to have her character develop.

Her losing her arm was done so that when you, me, and everyone else saw it we would go "Oh shit!" or some variation.

That is doing something for shock value. It wasn't needed and really shouldn't have happened.

(I'd talk about other stuff you said but I just woke up and don't really feel like going around in circles like we probably would.)

10. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Saying that something was done for "shock value" is trying to make the argument that there was no legitimate purpose other than to elicit a negative reaction, yet Mecha clearly outlined that there are plenty of legitimate reasons from a narrative and character development standpoint that justify Yang losing an arm to Adam in this manner.

Are there alternatives that could have been done instead? Perhaps. Would they have been as effective? Probably not IMO. Sure, they didn't HAVE to cut Yang's arm off, but it's so much better that they did. There's a bit of false thinking on your part for thinking that Yang losing an arm was "necessary" to the plot, as opposed to thinking that it was the "best option" for that moment compared to the lesser alternatives.

The visceral nature of what happened is meant to remind the audience that there are real consequences to fighting, that death and serious injury are entirely probable, and that the main characters are truly risking their lives doing what they do. A sense of danger is entirely necessary to establish a world as believable, yet if you say "dismemberment will NEVER happen in this world," or "the main characters will NEVER suffer this kind of injury" then the sense of danger is greatly diminished because an average person doesn't receive such "protection" in the real world, and even Aura cannot protect any of the RWBY cast from serious injury if it is broken down. Not to mention the overwhelming defeat Yang suffered at the hands of Adam completely solidifies him as a true threat more so than just killing a pair of nobodies that lack the same skills and strength as someone like Yang. The real world is cruel; why should a fictional world wanting to showcase people that look, act, and feel real be different?

Sure, there are other ways for Yang to develop, especially when we remember back to Yang's motivations being about excitement and her recognizing those motivations to be somewhat hollow, but very often in life, a person's path takes a drastic turn off the main course, leaving the person lost, confused, hurt, sad, and/or angry. Having a person recover from such an experience and find their way again, most likely on a new path they didn't envision before, is a fantastic and artful way to show character growth during a narrative, especially when this narrative direction could not have possibly happened but for the bad experience. Without this major wrench being thrown into Yang's character path, it's highly probable that Yang may not grow as much as she could under the canon narrative. Without the spiraling that we're seeing from Yang, there wouldn't be this dire imperative to change and reevaluate her motivations, especially when under the canon narrative, she's so broken that she doesn't have any motivation at all.

The point here is that the existence of alternative courses of storytelling does not diminish the legitimacy of what actually happened. To argue that Yang losing an arm is "only for shock value" cannot possibly be correct in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. It only demonstrates that you would have preferred a different outcome, but your preference doesn't dictate what is and isn't considered "doing something for shock value." Such a determination is more objectively based as opposed to subjective where a hypothetically reasonable person would feel that something was done with no legitimate purpose whatsoever other than to upset people. Based upon what Mecha and I wrote, a hypothetical reasonable person could easily conclude that there's actually an artful method to the madness rather than it being pointless gore.

I'm sorry that you're letting your subjective preferences cloud you from at least being able to recognize that this decision to take Yang's arm away wasn't done callously or without proper thought to the consequences and impact on the character, her development, and the narrative. Such decisions that are properly made are never made lightly. It's only in situations where such decisions ARE lightly made that they would be considered "done for shock value only." But for you to say that it was shock value only demonstrates your lack of understanding of the significance of the event and the possibilities it sets Yang up for the future.

MechaG11 and KineticKaiser like this.